1. Security. You will not need to worry about 20 new viruses, worms, trojans or malware programs every day for Fedora. There are very few of these to worry about with Linux.
2. Price. Free for the Download. You do not have to pay for Fedora, EVER. Visit Fedora’s Site. This is also true for most other flavors of Linux.
3. Stability. I had a system running Fedora that did not require a reboot for over a year. No other OS I’ve tried has been able to do that.
4. Hardware Compatibility. Fedora works with all the latest and greatest hardware.
5. System requirements. Fedora will work with OLD hardware too. You don’t need 11 Billion Jigawatts to run Fedora. ( It will use them effectively if you have them though. )
6. Low Maintenance. Updates occur from time to time. Fedora can be updated less frequently than others.
7. Firefox works on Fedora too. Firefox is readily available for Fedora and works quite well on Fedora 9, 10 or 11.
8. Total Cost of Ownership. Fedora costs less up front, in the middle, at the back, and overall.
9. Support. Fedora has many choices for support. You are not limited to a single vendor like Apple or Microsoft.
10. Open source. If you don’t like the way a program works, you can roll up your sleaves and fix it.
11. Common. The most common OS on the planet. There are more systems running Fedora or Redhat than any other single OS.
12. Maturity. Fedora has been around for over 15 years.
13. The Memory Factor. My memory doesn’t work as well as it used to. I am somewhat impacted by OLD Timers and CRS ( Can’t remember stuff ). I learned NIX Commands 20 years ago. They still work on Fedora today. Example “tar -xvf pictures.tar.gz” will still uncompress the pictures.tar.gz file into the current directory. There are no commands in Windows Vista that were used in DOS 5.0. Fedora did not rename every icon just to prove they did something. Vista did.
14. Learning curve. Fedora is very easy to learn.
15. Set up speed. Fedora takes about 12 minutes to install on an older system.
16. Did I mention that most applications for Fedora are FREE too? Firefox, OpenOffice.org, etc. All FREE.
17. Customization. If you are familiar with Skins for Winamp and such, you can skin your entire OS the same way with Fedora. You can rename, move, remove and add things anywhere and everywhere you prefer.
Microsoft made a permanent fatal error when they released Vista half baked. Windows 7 has many of the same issues Vista has. Mac has always been more expensive for hardware, more expensive for software, and more expensive for peripherals. Linux and especially Fedora Linux is a viable alternative that has come of age. It’s time to give it a try.